Environmental Law Resources
Use this list to connect with other helpful resources
- Environmental Law Centre (Alberta) – “the ELC is dedicated to providing credible, comprehensive and objective legal information regarding natural resources, energy and environmental law, policy and regulation in Alberta. The ELC’s mission is to educate and champion for strong laws and rights so all Albertans can enjoy clean water, clean air and a healthy environment. Our vision is a society where laws secure an environment that sustains current and future generations.”
- Inside Education – “Supporting teachers and inspiring students to better understand the science, technology, and issues related to our environment and natural resources.”
- People for Energy and Environmental Literacy – “PEEL works to equip today’s educators with the science, the teaching tools and the support they need to ensure Alberta students are fluent in climate change science, clean energy technologies, and sustainability principles.”
- Alberta Council for Environmental Education – “ACEE works collaboratively to advance environmental education in Alberta.”
- National Center for Science Education -“promotes and defends accurate and effective science education.”
- Green Teacher – “dedicated to helping educators, both inside and outside of schools, promote environmental awareness among young people aged 6-19.”
- Ontario Justice Education Network – “Develop innovative educational tools that introduce young people to the justice system, help them understand the law, and build their legal capability.”
- Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society – “Canada’s only nationwide charity dedicated solely to the protection of our public land, ocean, freshwater and ensuring our parks are managed to protect the nature within them.”
- Pembina Institute – “Working to solve today’s greatest energy challenges — reducing the harmful impacts of fossil fuels while supporting the transition to an energy system that is clean, safe and sustains a high quality of life.”
- Alberta Wilderness Association – “dedicated to the conservation of wilderness and the completion of a protected areas network.”
- Caribou 4 Ever – coalition of environment non-governmental organizations focused on caribou conservation work.
- Ecojustice – “Ecojustice goes to court and uses the power of the law to defend nature, combat climate change, and fight for a healthy environment for all.”
- West Coast Environmental Law – “a non-profit group of environmental lawyers and strategists dedicated to safeguarding the environment through law.”
- Canadian Environmental Law Association – a specialty legal clinic that works to protect human health and the environment.
- Alberta Queen’s Printer – find online versions of provincial laws and regulations.
- Ministry of Alberta Environment and Parks – provincial ministry for the environment.
- Ministry of Alberta Energy – provincial ministry for energy development.
- Justice Laws Website – find online versions of federal laws and regulations.
- Environment and Climate Change Canada – federal ministry for the environment.
- CanLii – free access to court decisions across the country.
- Supreme Court of Canada – free access to Supreme Court of Canada decisions and live streams in both French and English.
Alberta Law Libraries
Note: Anyone can use the resources at an Alberta Law Library branch although borrowing is restricted to lawyers.
- HeinOnline – access to a number of journals and articles
- WestlawNext – access to articles as well as case law including decisions that may not be available on CanLII such as those from other countries
- Lexis Advance Quicklaw – access to articles as well as case law including decisions that may not be available on CanLII such as those from other countries
- LESA Library – access to articles from the Legal Education Society of Alberta. This may include articles on more practical matters such as tips for court or on substantive law topics.